Stand Up Paddle Invitational
Inclusive paddle event for Special Olympics athletes and Stand Up Paddlers nationwide! Family fun for the weekend in beautiful Key West — everyone is invited!
All activities will take place at Smathers beach and business locations in Key West.
Friday October 13, 2017, 4:00 to 7:00 p.m.
- Athletes Reception at Lucy’s Retired Surfer Bar and Restaurant on Grinnell Street in Old Town Key West. Check in and packet pick up. Get registered to race, purchase dinner and raffle tickets, meet our awesome Special Olympics athletes, taco bar buffet available. Special Olympics teams and families can sign up for a complimentary ride to Lucy’s on The Conch Tour Train, with a tour of Old Key West and more! Pick up and drop off locations and times to be announced. Limited to 50 seats. Make sure to sign up to reserve your seat!
Saturday October 14 , 2017
- The originally planned #ChooseToInclude Unified Relay Races have been cancelled. Instead of this event we are going to organize work crews for the hardest hit areas of the Keys: MM10-MM30. Limited transportation will be provided. Bring gloves, water, sunscreen, hat, bug spray and your muscles! If you have signed up and paid for the Relay Races already we will utilize those funds for a donation to our families in need. Sign Up for work crews. This is your opportunity to give back.
- Special Olympics Coaches Meeting/Training – Immediately after Opening Ceremonies at NY Pasta Garden, Duval Square- Mandatory for all coaches attending the Special Olympics races and open to all other Special Olympics coaches who wish to learn more. This will be a round table discussion and race overview with Sue Cooper, our race director.
- Luau Dinner and Dance – 4:00 to 7:00 p.m. – New York Pasta Garden Restaurant, 1075 Duval St., Key West, Fl, 33040. Dancing in the Courtyard of Duval Square, with opening ceremony, parade of athletes down Duval Street. Delegation check in at 3:45 pm at Duval Square, all Special Olympics athletes participating in Duval Street Parade will meet at La Te Da Garden, 1125 Duval St, Key West, FL 33040 at 4:00 pm. Free parking in lot at Duval Square on Virginia Street and at the Gato Building on Simonton Street.
Sunday October 15, 2017
- Race Day, Smather’s Beach, Key West
7:00 a.m. – Check in
7:30 a.m. – Special Olympics Coach Meeting
8:00 a.m. – Special Olympics Races Start (Level 2, 3 and 4)
11:30 a.m. – Open Race 2 mile paddle with a beach obstacle course, Level 1 Special Olympics athletes included, hosted by Lazy Dog Paddle Shack.Raffle tickets for some awesome prizes will be sold all weekend! Keep updated on our Facebook Page or join the Facebook event. Awards will be given after each event during a traditional Special Olympics ceremony. Volunteers are needed for the entire weekend! You can race and volunteer! Volunteers receive a free T-shirt and lunch on Sunday, October 15.
Looking for a Hotel?
The following have room blocks with reduced prices for our event.
- Best Western Key Ambassador (our event hotel). Call directly and ask for Armida Averette.
- The Gates Hotel
- 24 North Hotel
- Hilton Garden Inn
- Perry Hotel
Looking for a Vacation Rental?
This is a fantastic way to enjoy Key West for the weekend!
- Preferred Properties Key West – The sponsor of our Beachside Luau also has some great deals on home rentals for groups! Call 305-294-3040.
- Wendy Zintsmaster & Team – Best of Key West Rentals. Call Regan Butler at 305-292-2244 ext. 104.
General Public Online Registration
- Register to race
- Purchase your Preferred Properties Beachside Luau Dinner Ticket
- To rent equipment, call Lazy Dog at 305-295-9898, $10 rental, donated back to Special Olympics Florida – Monroe County
- Email for vendor Info, Limited spaces available.
We look forward to seeing you at the event!
Special Olympics Athlete Online Registration
Fill out this form if you are a Special Olympics athlete wanting to participate in the Monroe County SUP Invitational.