Coaches Guide to Sports Nutrition
Thank you for caring enough about nutrition and wellness to want to make a difference in you and your athletes’ nutritional health. Nutrition plays a huge part in the performance of an athlete. The more we can do to change behaviors that will increase good eating and hydration habits the more changes we will see in our athletes increasing their performance on and off playing field.
This course was designed with a triple purpose:
- For coaches to develop a better understanding of the foundation of nutrition principals and be able to apply them to practices, competitions, and share with family members to encourage good eating behavior at home.
- To use this foundation of nutritional principles to offer a 5 to 7-minute interactive Healthy Team Tips session at the beginning or end of practice. Colorful and concise nutrition handouts were designed to go with each of the concepts. Concepts 1-10 are to be used with athletes and concept 11 can be used for the first team meeting with families so they may reinforce the healthy eating concepts being covered at practice and healthy eating on road trips.
- To offer a useful re-certification course that coaches could use immediately to benefit their athletes and themselves.
The following concepts are found in the Coaches Guide for Sports Nutrition course:
- My Plate
- Whole Grains
- Carbohydrates (Good vs. Bad Carbs)
- Portion Control
- Vitamins and Minerals
- Pre and Post Workouts Snacks
- Eating on the Road ( for families and caregivers)
- Coaches Notes for Review
- Review the Coaches Guide for Sports Nutrition course, take the test, and pass the test with a 90% competency. You may take the test until you pass.
- Complete the Practicum assignment and complete and submit the Practicum Form:
- Conduct 5 Healthy Team Tips Sessions at 5 different practices
- Submit a recap of the nutrition teachable moments on the Practicum Form of the 5 sessions
Bonus for Coaches
Coaches will be notified of passing the course test and are eligible to download the Special Olympics Coaches Nutritional Toolkit, a 69-page document developed especially for Special Olympics Coaches which contains sports-specific nutrition which will be helpful for a sports season.