To offer screening at all major state competitions and all 11 area competitions. Screening is best served when it is closer to the athlete’s home so a local referral can be made.
Florida needs a minimum of 6 volunteer clinical directors for each discipline. We could do many more screening if we had more clinical directors to oversee clinics in their geographic locations!
If you are a medical professional or affiliated with a medical facility or medical/dental training institution and would like to assist with the Helalthy Athletes program, please contact us today!
Who is a Clinical Director?
- Licensed professional
- Proven interest of service
- Member of or active in local/state/national professional organization
- Geographic accessibility to program activities
- Demonstrated leadership abilities
- Volunteer commitment of 3 years for Program Clinical Director
Role of Clinical Director
- Attend a one day Train-the-Trainer workshop, followed by a practical experience the next day at a Special Olympics Florida competition (Friday and Saturday activity)
- Recruit/train screening volunteers for venue
- Work with a group of state or regional clinical advisors and Special Olympics Florida staff to develop or locate appropriate education materials, equipment and supplies needed for an event
- Responsible for working with state or county Special Olympics Florida program leaders
- Supervise the venue
- Recruit computer savvy volunteers to enter screening data onsite
- Report data to Special Olympics Florida
- Evaluate event
- Continue to seek opportunities and partnerships for Healthy Athletes activities
- Participate within Healthy Athletes team, working with the coordinators of other disciplines in the planning capacity sharing of the venue
- Oversee 2-3 events annually that may take one to two days each