Start a Young Athletes Program
- Location: Young Athletes can operate in a community setting, school setting, or family setting
- Training: Site coordinators partake in a training program offered by representatives of the state office. Training is based on the Young Athletes Activity Guide and Lesson Plans.
- New Participants: Upon registration of 6 young athletes with ID/DD and 2 volunteers, an equipment kit (pictured right)
and banner are sent.
- Program: 24 program sessions are conducted at two levels:
- Level 1 Play: Physical activities focus on developing fundamental motor tracking and hand-eye coordination.
- Level 2 Play: Activities consist of foundational skills, walking & running, balance, jumping, trapping & catching, throwing, striking, kicking, and advanced skills. Advanced skills are a prerequisite to developing the sports skills needed for Special Olympics Florida training and competition.
- Culminating Event: This final event showcases the young athletes’ and Unified young athletes’ learned skills for their parents and the community at large. Each athlete receives a t-shirt to wear at the event. Certificates of participation and ribbons are also given to all Young Athletes participants at the awards ceremony.