Volunteer for Special Olympics Florida!
Special Olympics Florida relies on the time and dedication of thousands of volunteers each year. Thank you for making a difference for the athletes we serve! Whether you are a group or an individual, there is an opportunity available to volunteer.
Volunteers have an opportunity to assist in a variety of programs at a local, regional and statewide level.
Some opportunities require long-term commitments and specific skills. Other opportunities require limited time commitments and less specific sports skills but are just as important to the overall success of the program.
There are two classifications for volunteers:
- Class A: Individuals with 1-on-1 unsupervised contact with athletes, coaches, chaperones, speech coaches, mentors, individuals who have fundraising responsibilities, and individuals authorized to speak on behalf of the organization. A criminal background check and Protective Behaviors Training are part of the registration process for all Class A volunteers.
- Class B: Individuals who are day-of-event volunteers with no athlete supervisory responsibilities. Class B Volunteers typically pre-register for a particular event, and then fill out the Class B form upon arrival at the venue to volunteer. Please be prepared to show a photo ID when registering.
Volunteers of all ages are welcome, however, general volunteers must be at least 15 years of age, unless accompanied by an adult. Assistant coaches and sports volunteers must be at least 16 years of age and head coaches must be at least 18 years of age.
Click on any of these links below to register and become a volunteer in the following opportunities.
- Area or State Event Volunteer (Class B)
Help for a minimum of a four-hour shift at an Area or State sports competition.
- Coach/Assistant Coach/Sports Volunteer (Class A)
Work with a group of athletes for several hours a week for a two- to three-month sport season. Requires background check and Protective Behaviors training.
- Local Programs (Class A & Class B)
Contact your local County Director to assist with volunteer opportunities locally. Opportunities exist for Class A and Class B volunteers.
- Healthy Athletes® (medical volunteers) (Class B)
Healthy Athletes offers screenings n six disciplines, including Fit Feet, FUNfitness (Physical Therapy), Healthy Hearing, Health Promotion, Opening Eyes®, and Special Smiles®. Volunteer opportunities are limited to health professionals and students in these fields.
- State Fundraising Events (Class B)
Volunteer at fundraising events and in planning committees.
- State Office Administrative Volunteers (Class A)
Assist with the front desk and other administrative projects in Special Olympics Florida State Office in Clermont.
How to Get Involved
To get started volunteering for Special Olympics Florida just follow these simple steps:
- Click on any of the links above to sign up and register for opportunities that interest you.
- For specific information about opportunities in counties throughout Florida, contact the County Director.
- If you are interested in coaching, Please contact your local County Director prior to starting the Class A Volunteer Registration Process.
- Please read the Special Olympics Inc. Volunteer Screening Policy which was developed to safeguard our athletes and our volunteers.
- All Class A volunteers 18 years of age and older must complete Protective Behaviors Training
For more information about volunteering, please contact: Amy Simon, 352-243-9536 x536.